Friday, February 4, 2011

Chicken Coop Update!







This is about where we left off last time. Since then we only added some paint. Then we didn't do a thing for a few months. Amanda and I both have busy schedules.

Anyway, weekend before last we got together and decided to get the roof on.





We chose clear plastic because we heard chickens like light and the area is already well shaded. We cut the pieces to overlap and screwed them down with these special screws that have smooshy washers that seal the hole that the screw makes.





Finally! Someone took a photo of me! Oh, except you can't tell it's me.





I got the job of cutting the roof because of all my time spent with scissors. It's really tough stuff to cut, always about to crack and split, but I think I did a pretty good job.





They're going to have a great view.






Then we started adding the perches. We made them out of a couple of the many branches taken down recently.





And last but not least, the nesting boxes had to be built inside.











We added decorative bumpy wavy wood at the top of the door opening. It's cute and the door will close against it. (It's supposed to be for the wavy plastic roof but didn't fit right, so we made it purely decorative) We also put it on top of the walls between the nesting boxes. Toby actually really liked the finished interior, sniffing and looking around when I put him in as a joke.

Next is the doors and hinges, as well as the wire fence for their yard. Oh, and the walkway up to their door too.

Amanda named our coop the "Four Seasons Chicken Resort" We'll welcome our first chicken guests in the spring. Can't wait!

Marco said to me in a mocking tone "chicken resort?! Where's the pool?" So I think I'm going to give the chickens a beautifully tiled puddle too. Perhaps this summer for when it gets hot. This is going to be so fun.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I love this! This is definitely the Four Seasons Chicken Coop and it's super cute as well!!! You guys put the Popken Sisters spin on this- I never would have thought a chicken coop could look so stylish!

    ReplyDelete